Saturday, June 22, 2013

I Should've Reserved a Llama

Ok a word to the wise: maybe don't try to book two consecutive trips during midterms. One of them is bound to get screwed up in some way and it won't be the trip where you have 15 social workers with you. It'll be the one where you are jet lagged, haven't slept in 5 days, sat behind the one chair on your last flight that for some reason was the only chair on the plane able to fully recline into your lap, and are alone in the Lima airport armed only with the phrase "no habla espagnol" and the hope someone will take pity on the sad wet puppy you seem to have turned into. So in case you didn't get it, within a half hour of my arriving in Peru, after not having been able to find my CCS ride, I stole some airport workers phone who kindly let me call my program director to see what was up. Apparently they weren't expecting me until the next day. Don't ask me how this happened (although I can pretty confidently say it was my bad). Now after 15 hours of travel I'm still in the damn airport waiting for a taxi driver that my country director has sent to find me. Bright side: the place he told me to wait has like 10 different kinds of gelato and seems to be a hot spot for hilarious glamour shot selfies. I have a feeling this is just the first of many entertaining stories to come. Get excited, folks. 

Update: made it to the home base. I am safe but I've heard that I probably won't be able to figure out how to work the shower for at least a few weeks so this should be interesting/ smelly. 

1 comment:

  1. Love to read your blog. Glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete