Tuesday, July 30, 2013

In the last week I said goodbye to one of my last original friends who has been here since the beginning of my time and while saying goodbye to so many people has been uniquely hard for me on this program, I also realized that it may be a blessing in disguise. It has really given me the chance to form an attachment to my placement, which has been especially necessary here because working there has been such a challenge compared to working essentially anywhere else I've ever worked. Through my time there so far, we have (and are still) waging a war against lice, colds and now... SURPRISE! Chicken pox. We've had behavior problems, revelations of past abuse and abandonment, and a constant struggle with figuring out how to help the kids deal with the reality that no, their moms are probably not ever coming for them. 

But last Sunday a few other volunteers and I went to a festival held at my kids' school in Villa for their Independence Day (month). Every single one of my kids there was smiling, dancing, running around, just being a kid. I don't know if I've really ever felt that much joy and love radiating from one area ever in my life. During the few hours I was there, I really realized just how resilient my kids are and how resilient a population can be. Learning about resilience is one thing, but the impression actually witnessing it on such a large community scale has made on me is something I never could have gotten in a classroom and I could not be more grateful to have this opportunity. 

Every day this week I couldn't wait to get back to placement and see the light in my kids eyes when they figure out a new game or choreograph a dance to their favorite song on my iPod (I don't think I could ever be as good of a dancer as even the two-year-old if I took classes for YEARS). I was absolutely blown away too when I saw the older kids caring for the younger ones when they became upset and modeling good behavior and problem-solving skills they have been taught (no matter how infrequently that may happen, they have it in them somewhere!). I am so incredibly lucky to be able to witness this every day and hope with all of my heart that these kids continue to have people in their lives who wake up each morning grateful that they get to spend another day with them seeing the amazing accomplishments they are making. 

No comments:

Post a Comment